October 3, 2009

Samoa Tsunami - Before/After & How to Help

This time last year, my wife and I spent an idyllic two weeks honeymooning in Samoa. What I remember was the incredible snorkeling, beautiful scenic vistas, fascinating village life and warm Samoan culture.

This week Samoa (along with Tonga and American Samoa) was hit by a devastating tsunami. As of right now, Samoa appears to have sustained the largest death toll at 149 people. Lalomanu Beach, on the southeast corner of Upolu (one of the two main islands making up Samoa) was one of the hardest hit areas. The beach and village were devastated.

Below you'll find some photos from our visit, along with links to photos and videos showing what the same area looks like now, post-tsunami. At the bottom, I've listed some current relief efforts. My wife and I are deeply saddened by this disaster and its impact on the kind people of Samoa.

Before the September 2009 Tsunami

Lalomanu Beach, Samoa (looking north)


Lalomanu Beach, Samoa (looking south)


Lalomanu Beach, Samoa (looking south)


Litia Sini Beach Resort, Lalomanu Beach, Samoa (looking north)


No comments:

Post a Comment