March 18, 2009

Cheap Fix: Low Flow Faucets


This weekend I installed low flow aerators on our kitchen (1.5gpm) and bathroom (1.0gpm) faucets - I didn't realize how easy it would be. Most aerators are stamped with their flow rate on the side but if they're really old (like mine) they might not, so you'll have to use your best judgment as to what you currently have. In fact, I noticed our bathroom faucet was missing the aerator all together.

Based on what I've read it seems that aerators below about 2.2gpm (gallons per minute) are considered low flow. I did listen to some advice I read that it helps to have a slightly higher capacity one in your kitchen to handle your higher water demands. I paid less than $6 each for them at OSH and they'll more than pay for themselves over their life through water and gas/electricity savings. Not to mention the fact that they definitely provide an adequate stream of water.

The U.S. Department of Energy has an online calculator than can calculate your cost savings. After the fact, I read that our East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) actually provides these water conservation devices for free to their customers, oh well...

1 comment:

  1. We intend to start a new house decoration, friends told us the Wall Mounted Basin taps are very popular now. We can not make decision, we also really love LED Bathroom Sink Taps. Because we bought LED Bathtub Taps already. Hope to hear someone's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete